While exploring the network Brazen Carreerist, I bumped into a group called Monthly-Goal Meetup. Here people can share their goals for the next month and follow up on it. Because, as we al know, spreading the word about your goals make it more likely that you actually live up to them. At least for women this seems to be the right strategy, according to Quirkology. Though they refer mainly to New Year’s resolution, I am quite confident that it holds for any other type of goals as well.
So, back to the Monthly Goal Meetup. The group is an initiative of Rebecca Thorman, who has a related category in her blog modite (really worthwhile to check it out, the whole blog that is). The idea of the group is to share the goal with other like-minded people. That way you see that you are probably not the only one struggling with going to the gym or keeping your desk tidy.
- Post a list of your career/life related goals for the current month, along with your checked off goals from the previous month if you’d like, on your own blog
- Visit the Goal Meet-Up post (see link above) and leave a link to your post in the comments (*If you don’t have your own blog, feel free to share your list of goals in the comments section of the post to join in!)
- Then, check out everyone else’s lists as they leave comments – click their links, visit their blogs, say hello, meet, greet and support each other because that’s what it’s all about!
Rebecca, thanks for the encouragement! So even though we are already on December 10th, I will start right away instead of waiting for New Year. As this is my first list… nothing crossed out yet, but beware: January is just around the corner. But well, the German Ministry of Economics and Technology says, Germans are reliable, so I might have a chance to get something done before posting the January list (ups, they also say we tend to lengthy and very detailed discussions before getting anything done. I guess this post goes into that category).
- Getting up each morning with my husband to use the 2 extra hours for online activities (blogging, reading, answering mails). Exceptions to be made when I have a day off or when returning after midnight on the previous night.
- Go to the gym twice a week (I might want to increase the number next month) Edit: I just learned that my gym stops all classes between today and 7th of January (Christmas in Spain is actually on the 6th). As I hate doing the machines, I will have to replace this goal with doing longer-than-normal walks with the dog twice a week. And taking always the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Practice with my cello at least 30 min 5 times a week (during normal hours so my neighbors don’t get crazy).
- Get everything off my desk which I am not using for the task at hand (at home and work).
And now I am off trying to figure out how cold it is today.